Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Always on Duty

I have to start off with stating the obvious. I HATE WAL-MART. I really do. I've never kept it a secret. First it was because their parking lot was full of pot holes. Then they fixed it and I hated that period of time because it was a horrible inconvience! Then they remodeled........again, I hated it! I will say it looks nicer. They painted the outside a nice cream and even put in faux wood floors in certain areas of the store. It does look better but I can still hear Target calling my name. I also can't seem to master the self check out. Even if I just have a few items.....I always seem to require help. So, why do I go? It certainly isn't very often that is for sure.......but Target doesn't have the granola bars we like and I know they are cheaper. Perhaps I am just a snob. There aren't the screaming kids and the congestion at Target either......it's just more relaxing. So, having said all of that........I had to go to Wal-Mart tonight. The whole time I'm just cringing at all of the weird people, the dead bug I saw on the floor and how I go so infrequent I can't find the toliet bowl cleaner. Not to mention the fact I forgot the Press and Seal wrap I've been dying to try since my trip to St. Louis!!! I finally turn the last isle and head for the orange juice when I see a lady on the floor and 4 Wal-Mart employees. I decide I better check out the situation.....So, I tell them I'm a nurse and the "victim" begins to retell the saga of how she slipped on some water......which was present....she scrapped up her knee, stubbed her toe and maybe pulled a muscle in her shoulder. I asked some pretty obvious questions.....like could she do full range of motion to her arms and legs and asked about her pain. Her friend pipes in that it looks like her shoulder is swelling and maybe she should get an xray? Meanwhile I start seeing flashes of light. I'm thinking....crap, I'm getting a migraine.....but no, it's a Wal-Mart employee taking pictures of the scene.....which now I'm a part of. I decide she doesn't need me and dismiss myself. Wal-Mart already had a clip board going of the saga and I left before I had to give my name or any info!!! The lady/victim was fine in my opinion.....just embarassed. It's always something when I go to Wal-Mart!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Youre such a good nurse. Wish you lived closer and could be my personal nurse (for my girls, that is!!) You did a good deed by stopping to check on her. I feel the same way about Target & Walmart, but WM is cheaper and closer......

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Wal-Mart in probably two years. We hate it and definitely prefer Target. It may just be my attorney-mind thinking, but I'm wondering if the lady you encountered was just trying to gin up a lawsuit!