Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Friday Panic and the Saturday Migraine

The Friday Panic:

In usual fashion I freak out on Friday's. I realize that I have to go to work the next day and I get in litterally a panic mode trying to get a week's worth of stuff done in one day. You would think I would be more organized! I think it's the stress of the holidays as well that has sort of, at times, turned me into a basket case. I haven't done anything crazy like forget my purse anywhere but I have almost locked my keys in the car a couple of times this week. I think it is litterally MILLER family tradition to procrastinate. I have very fond memories of my dad this time of year too. We went shopping EVERY Christmas Eve looking for stuff for my mom. Now, she had a list and often pictures of stuff she had seen in a Famous Barr ad. But, dad and I had waited until the very last minute and so that stuff was all gone and picked over....so, we had to "settle" for stuff she didn't want and then ultimately returned. I remember one year she wanted some kind of a gown and we bought her this UGLY green robe that was way tooooo long. I believe she STILL has it today! Ah, something she didn't actually return or exchange. Perhaps that is where I get that from....oh surely not. My dad loved Old Spice cologne too. I still like to occasionally find a bottle at the store and pick it up for old times sake. I remember one year I bought him some Polo. Oh he was really excited about that and just loved it. My mom got a phone call from his secretary asking her to politely encourage my dad not to use quite so much of it. That still makes me laugh.....and yes, tear up a bit too! I sure do wish he was here to enjoy Matthew. I totally get my sensative side from him. He used to cry watching the Miss America pagent. He'd be happy for the one that won and the one's that didn't. Okay, next subject.......way too sappy and teary. I'll never finish this blog!

So, why am I blogging at 5pm in the afternoon on a Saturday? Well, around 1030 at work I was hit with a migraine and I just couldn't get it under control. I finally sent almost all of my patients home, as did a couple other nurses so I was able to go home. After some darkness and quiet, I'm finally feeling better. I don't know what has sparked the return of the migraines......stress? So, if you are wondering where the annual Christmas card, letter and picture are......well, they are still in my head. This too leads to that lovely panic feeling. Just ask Joe what happened the Christmas of 2001. Matthew was almost one and I was FAT. We were at the Sears photo studio, all dressed up in cheesy coordinated outfits and I freaked out when I saw my face on the screen. I mean FREAKED out. Here I am sweating bullets and bawling! Next thing you know the picture was just of Matthew. The next year, still feeling fat I decided that getting my hair done, wear a black sweater for the p icture and that would be the turning point. Nope. Hated my 10 chins and it was I believe........just Matthew again. At one point I realized I needed to ditch the turtlenecks and maybe that would help. I can laugh at it now but lets just say the photographer at Sears looked like he was about to call for back up! I'm still working on something for this year. We'll see what next week brings. Joe starts his job on Tuesday and Wed and Thurs are early release days and then no school starting on Friday until next year.

I had to laugh at Matthew the other night. I heard all of this noise long after he should have been asleep. So, I sneaked in.......trying to find out what he was playing with and he said.....but mom, I'm just reading my Bible. Sure enough, he was sitting on the floor, by the light of his optical Christmas tree, reading a little Bible book. Now, how do you scold him for that?

1 comments:

Renee said...

You're making me tear up just reading about your dad. I know holidays must be so hard for you.... He would be SO proud of you and the amazing mom that you are. I know how smells can just "take you back". I still have my grandma's cologne bottle in my drawer- it still smells like her. You have a special Christmas angel, and he would probably be so thrilled to see you hunting down a special gift Christmas Eve........ And Matthew reading his Bible, so adorable. You know he is "the chosen one"....I just have to figure out which one of my girls gets him!!! Guess we have time to work that out!!!