Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ice Dam





Well, actually it's more like damn ice. I was about to make a grocery store run for my mom when I noticed water running down my wall in the kitchen. Basically, we had pretty big storm this past weekend. We had a combination of sleet, freezing rain and snow. Today, with a high of only 20 and lots of sun, the ice started melting. I'm not sure the whole logistics of the problem but I never had any problems with my prior roof and I've had snow/ice melt and refreeze before. I placed numerous calls this afternoon to the roofing company and shocking, no one has called me back. So, after a call to the insurance company.....an adjuster is due to call tomorrow....I also called a drying company.....at the reccomendation of the insurance company. So, they came and poked some holes in the ceiling area in the kitchen to get air in there.......so I don't have mold growing. Well, the water also somehow dripped into the basement. So, I've got a bucket down there and I'm just waiting for the sun to come out tomorrow and the melting and mess will begin again. There are 2 industrial floor fans pointed to the walls in the kitchen and a dehumidifier.........and it totally wreaks of wet dry wall. The paint is buckeling and the dry wall is soft and mushy in places. There is a fan in the basement pointed to the ceiling. So my house is loud and stinks. I've got candles burning but I'm still gagging when I walk out into the kitchen/family room. I'm sure there will be more pics to post tomorrow. Did I mention there is no school AGAIN tomorrow? I will say Matthew was overall really good today. I had just gotten off the phone with a co-worker........who was so nice to come by and make sure my sanity was in check.....anyway, I was trying to hold it all together in front of Matthew but I finally just couldn't and started crying. Matthew gave me the biggest hug and I could see the tears in his eyes too. That is a moment I won't soon forget.

1 comments:

Renee said...

Oh Lisa, what a mess for you. That just stinks, and then to have to deal with insurance etc... a headache for sure..... Maybe you can talk them into hardwood floors and a new paint job or something fun!!! Hang in there- what a sweet story about Matthew..... it's so wonderful that he is so compassionate!! I cried the other day, and Kailyn told me, "you better watch out, Santa is watching you!!!" We sing "you better watch out, you better not cry, better not pout I'm telling you why......" The compassion is still developing!!!!