Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A Tarnished Image

I have had a few days to think about the picture that came out with Michael Phelps smoking pot and his statement of apology. What was he THINKING? Doesn’t he know that people are around and someone is going to take a picture? Here I am, trying to teach my son to say “No to Drugs” and an Olympian can’t. I am so no longer impressed with him. Someone asked me if I was disappointed in him or in the fact that he got caught. Very good question. I guess now I am disappointed to learn that he is participating in such an act. Who was he trying to impress? A bunch of strangers at a college he was not attending? Seriously??? So not going for the gold there Michael. I am not perfect and don’t claim to be perfect. There are consequences to our actions and trust me, at one time or another in our lives, we all must face them. I am not the one that signed multi-million dollar endorsement deals. Consequences I think there might be many. Or will there?? That is the next question. Will there be criminal charges or will a high priced, smooth talking attorney get him off the hook like they did with his DUI four years ago. Time will tell. As for me, I remain disappointed. Michael is the one that has to live with the now tarnished golden boy image. I have read now that Kellogg's has dropped there endorsement deals and Michael is on a 3 month suspension from competing. He says the worst part of all of this is how he's disappointed his fans and his mother again. Maybe boys will just be boys...I certainly hope not. I think that is why kids should be looking for their heroes at home, not out in Hollywood or in public figures.....they are the ones most likely to disappoint!

“Instruction is what we say, Influence is what we do, Image is what we are” S. Truett Cathy

2 comments:

Christine said...

I am with you...very disappointed in him and his actions.

Prachar family said...

Oh, you nailed it on the head. Heroes should be found at home. Those celebs/athletes ALWAYS screw it up BIG time!