Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Three Hour Lunch







About every other month or so I get together for lunch with a group of nurses I used to work with at Baptist. We chit chat about our lives, kids, parents etc and jobs. It's usually about 4 of us...due to Matthew's flu, I missed the last lunch. Today was a little different as I had invited a couple surprise guests. Well, one, due to my mom bailing out on baby sitting (don't even get me started on THAT), I had to bring Matthew...so there is one guest. Then another guest was Lisa, who drove in from Lawrence. Last I had seen Lisa was at a diabetic seminar when she was pregnant with her 3rd child....so about 18+ months ago. Lisa is one year older than me, has NOT aged a bit and was sooooo much fun to work with. I remember orientating to peds, having no kids to orientate with and painting the nails of two old ladies one day. It sure was fun to catch up. I also remember starting an IV on a 5 week old with Lisa....I was so nervous...I got the IV in but then my hands were shaking so bad, I couldn't tape it up. Yeah...peds isn't my calling. My other guest was Cheri. Cheri has been in my blogs before....today she is 37 weeks pregant with #3...her two girls are Lilly and Lucy...who Matthew ADORES. They were very well entertained by The Bee Movie. Lunch was a blast. The other guest that doesn't usually come was Alice....Alice orientated me too when I was a new nurse and used to walk so fast I could hardly keep up! It's nice to see that she is enjoying her retirement years.( even after an MI and open heart surgery)....there is a payoff someday!! lol I realized today how fortunate I was to have such great nurses that molded me into the nurse I am today. Janey taught me about 401k's and urology....Henri was my first nurse manager...and trust me, no one else compairs. I was truely blessed to have started my career at Baptist.....I was put there for a special reason,I'm quite certain of it.


1 comments:

Mom Watch said...

I think that says volumes about you and what a good person you are to be able to maintain special friendships for years and through various jobs/hospitals. I also have so many special people to thank for my place in life/career--and so many of them live so far away. I wish I could get them all together in a room to express to them how much they meant to me and my start. Matthew looks like he had a blast with all those women. You know what that means, don't you? He is SOOOO going to be a ladies man--lol!