Thursday, October 16, 2008

National Breast Cancer Month


Yes, long time, no blog. I haven't been in the best of moods I guess....but that is another blog in itself! On this subject, it all started about 2 weeks ago when I heard through the grapevine at work that the hospital wasn't doing anything this year for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I was shocked. I mean I understand we can't celebrate every National this and that month that exist but seriously, breast cancer is a big one and is celebrated NATIONALLY!! I was blown away. I was working the weekend of the 4th and there were posters all over for the campaign for something else but nada for Breast Cancer. So, as my dad always taught me...if you want something done...you go to the top! I wrote an email to the CEO. He is rather new to the hospital and I had met him once since his arrival so he doesn't really have a clue who I am. Well, that was until now I believe. My letter was pretty much to the point and I used the words....blowing off National Breast Cancer month more than once. I am quite passionate as my mom is a 10 year surivivor this year, I've had 3 sorority sisters moms diagnosed and last week I had a sorority sister die (MY AGE) with stage 4 Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Her name was Angie Vincent Elliot and she had a courageous and amazing story. She lobbyed in Washington D.C, Austin Texas, and New Mexico to raise awareness for the rare type of cancer she had. Did I mention she was my age. She also made this amazing survivors creed. http://www.survivorscreed.com/catalog.htm Anyway..so to hear the hospital was doing nothing had me a little upset. Well, two days ago, I finally got a reply from the CEO. Turns out we are doing a couple of things as a hospital....but WHO KNEW! They are handing out muffins and a goodie bag with self breast exam info to those that are getting mammograms, having extended hours in radiology and there is even some kind of seminar next Monday. Trust me...ALL of this is news to me! There has been NO mass email as of last Sunday when I last worked. Hmmmm makes ya wonder if I raised a stink and got things moving along??? Well, either way....stink or not, education and early detection is the key and was my main point. I got my mammogram this month and ladies, if I can do it....so can you!!! So...stop procrastinating. As women we have so many roles and often we are so busy caring for our families that we don't take care of ourselves. This is something that we must make time for....be selfish and make the time for yourself and save your tata's!

2 comments:

Prachar family said...

Wow, great work! I love how you stand up for what is right. You are inspiring!
Travis

Prachar family said...

Me again! I tagged you, head over to my blog for details!
Travis